Por qué y cómo usar las máscaras faciales
¿Qué es una máscara facial o una cubierta facial?
- Es cualquier cosa que cubra su nariz, boca y mentón.
- Usted puede usar una máscara de tela, bufanda o pañuelo, siempre y cuando cubra su nariz, boca y debajo de la barbilla.
Do I need to wear a face covering?
Yes, you do. Here’s why:
- In California and across the country, you are now advised to wear a face covering when you leave your house.
- In some cities and counties, you must wear a face covering when out in public. Police can fine you if you are out in public without a face covering.
- Stores may not allow you in to shop without a face covering.
Why do I need to wear a face covering?
- A mask covers your mouth and nose to help protect you and others around you.
- The virus spreads easily through the air between people.
- We now know the virus can spread, even when people talk to each other.
- Many people have COVID-19 but do not feel sick. So, they can spread the virus without meaning to.
- In fact, you or others could be infected and not show symptoms for up to 14 days. This is a time when the virus can still spread from one person to another.
- So, to be safe, wear a face mask to reduce the chance that the virus may spread without you or others knowing it.
Can I go out more if I wear a face covering?
No! The stay-at-home order is still the best weapon we have against this virus.
- Go out only when you need to pick up a “must have” item or take short walks.
- Wearing a face covering provides just an extra layer protection for you and others.
Do I need to buy a MEDICAL face mask?
No. You do not.
- Hospital workers and first responders are the ONLY people who need a medical face masks.
- They are caring for patients with COVID-19 and others who may be infected.
- They need medical face masks to care for patients and protect themselves.
Can I make a face covering?
Yes, you can!
- Many patterns are posted on the Internet to follow. Click on the link below.
- There is a new pattern that does not require any sewing at all!
- If you can sew, you can use an old pillowcase or t-shirt. Of course, if you have a sewing machine, it goes much quicker. Many patterns are posted on the Internet to follow.
Can I buy face masks that you throw away?
- You can buy face masks that are made for outside workers, if you can find them.
- But, do NOT buy medical grade face masks. Health care workers and first responders are the ONLY people who need special masks.
How do I use a face covering?
- Your scarf, bandana or fabric mask must cover your nose, mouth and under the chin when you put it on.
- It should fit snug against your face and keep in place with either ties or loops that go over your ears.
- Do not touch your eyes or your face when wearing a face covering.
What should I do when I get home and take it off?
- Remove your face mask carefully when you get home.
- Touch only the part of your face covering that is facing your skin.
- Try to not touch the part of your face covering that faced outward because it may have germs.
- Wash your hands with soap and water after you remove your mask.
- Wash your face covering in hot water and soap.
- Dry your face covering with a hot dryer after each time you use it.