Do Not Fall for SCAMS
The police and others are warning seniors about scams. People are trying get money from seniors.
Basic rule for now and all times:
NEVER give credit card, Medicare or any personal information to someone, either over the PHONE or to someone at your DOOR.
Here is what they are doing and what you should do:
Fake COVID-19 testing scams
- People in white coats: People in white coats are going door-to-door to offer COVID-19 testing. They ask seniors for their Medicare or Medi-Cal number and then, they do the test. The tests are FAKE TESTS for COVID-19. Testing can ONLY be ordered by a doctor.
- Calls from so-called nurses: Seniors have also gotten calls from people pretending to be nurses. The nurses tell them they can offer test results after they give them a credit card number. It’s a scam.
- Know the facts: There are NO tests right now that can be done at home for COVID-19.
- What to do: If you or a loved one thinks they may need a test for COVID-19, CALL your doctor.
Gas company scams
- Pretend gas company workers: People pretending to work with the gas company are also going door-to-door. These people will ask you to pay your bill or they will turn your gas off.
- Know the facts: The Gas Company is NOT sending anyone to your home.
General phone call scams
- Scam calls: Scammers are also calling seniors to ask for personal information.
- What to do when answering a call: First, be aware that No ONE is allowed to ask for personal information over the phone.
- Do NOT give your credit card number, Medicare number, or any personal information to someone over the phone. NEVER.
- Just hang up. It’s really okay to do so. This will protect you from scammers.
Tests and threats